Day 5: Hoʻokuaʻāina at Kapalai Farms
Today we went to Hoʻokuaʻāina at Kapalai Farms to get muddy! We had such fun! The opening oli (chant) was so welcomed and their response beautifully heartfelt. This land has been restored by thousands of people over the past decade.
Owned by a single family's vision, they have toiled to clear out the wild land and restore kalo crops to the land. And we were so fortunate to share their good news that, after a dozen years of negotation and advocacy to *not* sell the land for commercial development, this organization signed the papers to purchase a new parcel of land (140 acres) for restoration and conservation. Such a huge win!
We spent the day working the fields to clean the kalo, providing almost 200 lbs of kalo to be sold in the grocery stores! I have never worked a field before, never contributed to the feeding of my community. It was a wonderful feeling.
Of all of the places I've been, this is one place I would like to come back to with my family. The work was zen and the mud was fun... when was the last time you got to play in mud?!
It made me think of the Mission Garden at home -- I am sure there are opportunities to work the land and give back to the community there. I will look into this -- maybe as a virtual tour for my students to take.
After a nutritious takeout lunch provided by a local restaurant, we did a cool experiment with the leaves of the kalo plant, measuring its hydrophilic and hydrophobic properties.
The school day ended early, so Maddie (a classmate) and I went off to Kaimana Beach (recommended by a former student and friend, Erika).
The beach was lovely and not too crowded -- other beaches in Waikiki are very crowded on Friday nights due to weekly fireworks.
We were visited by the Kaimana monk seal who recently had a pup. The pup has been moved away from the tourists, but the Kaimana Seal swam along the beach. By the time Maddie and I understood what the lifeguard was saying, the seal was too close and he told us to stay where we were. The seal came up for air right next to me (like I could touch it) and almost swam into us on her return lap.
I'm sure the lifeguard was shaking his head, thinking, "Darn Tourists" and we both know now that it doesn't matter what the lifeguard is saying -- if they have the bullhorn, just get out of the water!
It was still an amazing experience, even if I never want to repeat it.
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)


I looked up kalo and learned that it is taro root. So cool you got in the dirt and enjoyed it. A seal pup! OMG.
ReplyDeleteYes! And there are now several taro root bulbs for sale at the grocery store that I helped to harvest! 🎉
DeleteOOOH!! What a beautiful day! Did you get to eat kalo yet? I love it! I love that you're helping feed the community and becoming one with the 'aina! Kailua side of the island is breathtaking! Don't you just love the view as you come out of the Pali tunnel? I love that this program has you seeing so many things you would probably never see as a tourist.
ReplyDeleteWe got to eat Poi our very first day (part of the local food for lunch). I am eating all the things! Yes, the views are spectacular. Everywhere I look, I am just in awe. I also appreciate the opportunities to see so much of the island in such a short time! 💕
Delete