Day 6: Marine Education Training Center
Today was a day on the ocean! It was so incredible! We went to the Marine Education Training Center, home of the Polynesian Voyaging Society (PVS) and Punahou School's Kamaola Voyaging Canoe.
I learned about the kāpehu (Hawaiian's star compass) used to navigate the ocean.
We even got the opportunity to build/draw one using only rope and sidewalk chalk. It was fun to remember geometry and how to find perpendicular bisectors of angles!
After playing with math, we got to sail on a traditional voyaging canoe. I got to row and steer, feeling the wind and the current and the boat. We all worked together and I could feel my ancestors on my dad's side, standing behind me, welcoming me home.
I am sitting in the backyard now, reflecting on the day, enjoying the sweet smells of the flowers and the cool breeze. I feel beyond grateful for all of the people and kindness I am surrounded by.
The backyard is filled with over a dozen lily pad aquariums with fish. Really beautiful!
I love the image of Dad's ancestors beside you, welcoming you home.
ReplyDeleteAwww... Thanks, Ree. That feeling got stuck in my throat when we were sailing. 🥲
Delete