Week 12: Hoʻomau (To Persist, Persevere, or Continue)

This week, Hawai‘i invites me to celebrate hoʻomau (to persist or continue). 

Hurricane Lowell hit the westernmost islands of the state of Hawai‘i on Monday/Tuesday. For me, it meant being prepared for tropical-storm-level winds and rain. Hurricane Lala taught me that may mean loss of power, so I let the refrigerator food run towards empty to avoid food waste. hoʻomau

Image of Lowell from a news report

The storm also meant my virtual class meeting was canceled as schools and other businesses closed to help keep everyone safe and at home. Assignments were still due, but we had to pivot and record our previously-scheduled live presentations. hoʻomau


My presentation

Concerned I would be stuck inside due to rains and winds, I went for a walk on Monday to Waikīkī. The clouds and wind were beautiful. No rain, but more gusty winds and a gray sky the longer I walked, so I headed home before actually reaching the beach. At home, my neighbor was swimming, even in the sprinkling rain, and inspired me to make a commitment to swim a little every day, regardless of the weather. hoʻomau

Cloudy skies 

On Tuesday, I met virtually with my Pima colleagues to choose classes for spring. It was so great to see their faces and hear their playful banter. I'm so grateful to have a job I love with coworkers I adore! 

It was my hope to win an award to have some release time in the spring semester, so I could complete my certificate program while teaching a reduced load. I discovered the award is on hold, but I got my application ready, reached out to the committee, and hope to hear back this month whether the program will accept applications for spring requests. hoʻomau

I went to UH to play pickleball, but there were only two other students there. Instead of abandoning the plan, we played cut-throat (I thought my lungs might burst!). It was so fun and I met two more brilliant, fun UH students! hoʻomau

Beautiful tennis courts where the temporary pickleball courts are set up Mon - Thu night

At the end of this week, one of the fellow grad-students I met at the community day picked me up and we spent an afternoon & evening sight-seeing, celebrating her best friend's birthday, sharing a delicious dinner, and having a blast in her car - singing to tunes and dancing in the seats. 



Chinaman's Hat

Dinner at a local café

Selfie in Waikīkī

When I started this Hawai‘i journey, I didn't know what it would be like to live on my own, what my non-negotiables would be, what my days would look like, how graduate school would be, how it would feel to live alone.

Twelve weeks later, here's what I know:

  • I have fearlessly explored new places, new bus routes, and new experiences.
  • I have successfully navigated a return to school, using new tools and finding the courage to be a beginner.
  • I have consistently put myself in situations where I didn't know anyone and met new people. Some have become new friends, who I will stay in touch with even after I leave.
  • I have a routine that includes brand new activities like swimming, grocery shopping, cooking, and gardening. 
  • I have a go-bag for the hurricane season.😱
  • I am fine with solitude and also enjoy human connection.
  • I stayed committed to bringing friends and family with me on my journey, sharing weekly updates along with the occasional email, text message, and video chat.

I am so excited to welcome Daryl to O‘ahu and this beautiful house. I've been sharing daily countdowns with him via text message, and today is brought to you by the number three!


I'm not sure what lessons Hawai‘i has for me over the next couple of weeks, but I am certain I will be busy doing touristy things with Daryl and showing him some precious non-touristy things that are near and dear to my heart.

Regardless, I'll be sure to share pics, if nothing else! Thank you for being here every week. It means more than you know! 🥰

Next Post →

Comments

  1. Wow! 12 weeks. It seems like such a short amount of time, and you have accomplished/explored/tried so much. I love being along for the ride via the blog, all the photos and reflections. Thank you for sharing so much of the journey. I hope you and Daryl have a fantastic and safe time, and may Mother Nature take a pause with the rain and storms. It is interesting that you let your fridge get empty. When I lived in DC and there were hurricanes, folks tended to stock up (maybe not on perishables) on food. I remember making a huge pot of beans in preparation for not having any power. Very Mexican of me. Hugs from Oaxaca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely bought some non-perishable foods. But after Lala, I had to dump most everything in the fridge because power was out for ~50 hours. It was such a waste, I couldn't fathom doing it again.
      I appreciate your well wishes. The ancestors have been working hard and Norbert and the other storm after him have both dissipated. 🥳 So, it looks like things may be calm for his visit!

      Delete
  2. Nice nod to Ted Lasso, sis!!! I had a hearty laugh at the #FBDO clip at the beginning!! And I loved your presentation! What a contrast to how we learned math, and what a powerful message shift!! (After doing some deep emotional work with a participant in one of my group coaching sessions, I off-handedly asked her a question to bring her attention back. Simple math problems like adding the digits of your phone number or zip code are brilliant for this. And while I've definitely had people in my workshops who have shared their deep and lasting hurts around math over the years, never has anyone responded to this seemingly innocent question with "Noooo!!" She positively yelled at me, as if to move me away at from her physically... I think even she was surprised by the violence of her reaction. This math belief is a big hurdle to overcome and I know you've supported so many to change this belief in themselves.)

    I'm relieved that Lowell didn't have a direct hit even though the damage to Kau'i has been heartbreaking to witness. Grateful Norbert and the other storms have also dissipated so you and Daryl will have some clearer weather to explore and celebrate together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I nod to Ted Lasso without even knowing it?! 😅
      Yes, the math thing can cause a deep and lasting wound. It's a lot to overcome and I am always humbled to witness students doing the work to unlearn the limiting beliefs they hold onto.
      So far the weather has been absolutely perfect! I feel the power of my ancestors making it happen! Tomorrow I am abandoning plans to stay home and work on homework (I'm so behind! 😅).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I have some news... 🌺

Twenty-four days and counting... ⏰

Week 7: Pilina (Relationship, connection)