Week 11: 🌺 Luana (to Enjoy, to Be at Ease, to Spend Time Together)
This week, I noticed that I am pretty isolated here. I spend most of my days on my own. My friend asked if I was lonely, and I replied, "I don’t think so. Just alone a lot. But I’m good company 😅."
This week, Hawai‘i is teaching me the blessing of luana: to live in comfort and ease, be content, and enjoy pleasant surroundings or company.
Alone or with others, my life is full, and I am so happy to share my Hawaiian adventures with you - thanks for reading!
I started the week with a lovely visit to Waikīkī to watch the Sun set with Ben.
It seems like the Universe knew it would be good for my soul to be around people because my Monday PicklePals took me out to dinner, the University of Hawai‘i (UH) hosted three events I attended (with so many people!), and got to see my neighbor (a musician) perform at a local restaurant. ♥️
The UH resource fair (postponed due to Lala) was scheduled in conjunction with Queen Lili‘uokalani's birthday. They presented resources in such a creative way, with each table/booth giving a unique paper flower with details of their support, so that in the end, you have a beautiful bouquet! I learned about so many amazing things UH offers to support student success, including nightly pickleball! 🥳 (Yes, it is now on my calendar.) My favorite booth was from the Student Conduct office.
I love how the focus was on what the student will to bring to the UH community and emphasized the value of living in harmony. I was also kinda proud of myself for knowing most of the Hawaiian words. 😁
During the fair, I ran into a fellow grad-student I met during the Community Work Day and we had a lovely visit, with plans to meet up again next weekend.
Dinner and a show was fantastic. I had an incredible dinner (maybe the best yellow curry ever), tried a new dessert, and got to hear my neighbor perform. He is so talented!
Another gift this week was a beautiful bloom. Ben said this lily has not bloomed in fifteen years. I feel so fortunate to have been present during this special event. It only blooms for one day. And I was here!
Also, I am still doodling daily. I figure I'll share again, since it pushes me outside of my comfort zone to do so. 😅
Hawai‘i is reminding me the importance of being present and enjoying in whatever unfolds. Not everything needs to be planned, not everything needs a purpose, not everything needs to last. In fact, nothing is permanent, so we may as well enjoy things while we can.






.jpg)




It's interesting that you chose the word "isolated," I didn't think of you as being isolated. You seem very connected to a lot of people. Is it because you live alone and aren't in a traditional work environment, i.e. a campus setting every day? I am glad you are at ease solo (solitary) or in groups. You are definitely an extrovert, in my opinion. How cool that there is nightly campus pickleball! And those blooms! You love yourself some yellow curry. Thanks for sharing all the interior and exterior aspects of your experience here...
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading and commenting!
DeleteI had a great time playing pickleball last night and will definitely go again!
I think of Dad and you and Nanci every time I stop to appreciate Ben's garden here. I know you all love gardening so much!
Regarding being isolate... I think when a person spends almost every day alone, they're pretty isolated. I'm not sure what other word describes it. I am connected to others via text messaging, but I'd say I visit with people I know IRL about a half-dozen times per week. That is a big change from playing and talking with 20+ friends/family every week and connecting with about 80 students/colleagues every week. So, yeah... pretty isolated. But I am at ease with it all.
The campus is much more lively now that the students are back and I am looking forward to having Daryl join me in 6 more days. 😁
OH MY GOSH THAT LILY!!! I have never seen anything like that!! I too wonder why you say you are isolated? From what you have shared, you seem to have such a strong community here that it makes sense to feel "isolated." I hope that solitude is giving you the inner healing you have been craving. I am glad you don't feel lonely though. Do you feel like the quiet and solitude offer time for reflection and healing that such a busy life in Tucson doesn't?
ReplyDeleteI definitely felt the "isolation" of being so far from the mainland when difficult things happened while living there (people/pets dying, health issues, potential natural disasters) even though I had such great friends and so much love and support on the island, it wasn't the love and support of my family and friends that knew me my entire life. That was also Hawaii's biggest gift to me- the time, space and peace to heal wounds and patterns that I never could seem to get the time and space for in Tucson with all those other demands around me. It does sound like you are finding the gifts and lessons in everything you are doing, so I imagine that you are growing in all of the ways.
Good luck with Hurricane Lowell and stay safe over there. The hurricane season hasn't been very kind to Hawaii this year. Hugs!
Yes, the solitude is providing the freedom to slow down, listen, reflect, journal, read, and grow. But it is a big change from what I am used to.
DeleteEveryone here is so lovely and welcoming, that I am sure I would be cultivate close friendships given time. But for now, I have been enjoying the isolation and using it to learn about myself.
I am surprised by the number of hurricanes this season. There barely seems time to recover from one and another is forming on the horizon!
Yes, it seems like it is non-stop over there this season. Last time I was on Kauai they still hadn't fully recovered from Iniki in 1992! Everything takes SOOOOOO LONGGGGG over there. I pray another storm doesn't track that way/make impact in any way. You guys need a break!
DeleteSo exciting that Daryl is going to be there soon. I hope you will have an amazing time together and the Aloha blesses him with memorable experiences!
Thanks, Erika! He's been here one day and it was full and super fun! And it looks like the storms have mellowed, too. 🥳
DeleteAna, did you ever start driving around Oahu or have you continued taking the bus and Nike Express? Just wondering what you think of the traffic/driving culture/navigating there?
ReplyDeleteI have not ventured to drive yet. I am enjoying allowing others to drive for me -- and I am grateful that I have the freedom to be late to wherever I'm heading. The busses are often early or late, so it's anyone's guess what time I actually arrive at my destination. 😅
DeleteI find the driving to be mixed -- like the cars go much faster than I would drive (around turns, in residential areas, etc.), but they are very courteous and will immediately stop to allow pedestrians to cross, or drive casually slow behind a cyclist or scooter that has no other lane to ride.
I may try driving when Daryl visits. We'll see!
I love that you have the freedom to just arrive places when you do and enjoy the ride however long it takes you. The drivers do often have a lot of Aloha and that is so nice. I remember that was on the radio all of the time "This isn't the mainland, drive with Aloha!" I am so curious how you will experience driving there if you do. I used to see so many crazy things on the road. When do you come back to Tucson? How are you feeling about leaving Hawaii?
DeleteEveryone is definitely kind when driving. If a driver even sees you considering to cross, they will stop. Though last night Daryl and I almost got run over by someone who did *not* see us until they were a foot away from us! They slammed on their brakes and we were fine (other than the flood of adrenaline!). But that was the first time that's happened! Not a very good "Welcome to Hawai‘i" for Daryl... Oops!
DeleteFirst, that Lily! OMG, the wonders and beauties of nature never cease to inspire me. I remember Dad asking, more rhetorically, how could you see nature and not believe in God? Every 15 years, for 24 hours... I wanna know who these pollinator of that Lily is and what cycle they're on! 😆
ReplyDeleteI appreciate how different your daily life is in regards to human contact. You've never lived alone in your life. You've never not lived in the same city as family. This is a big change for you and a growing edge. Yes, the contrast is revealing, it tells us who we are when we aren't "defined" by these other relationships, to place and people; about who you are with your own company, and how to build community from scratch, which you are doing so beautifully. I know many will miss you when you're gone and a piece of your heart will always be in Hawai'i now. 💜
I so appreciate your artwork and love seeing you take a bit of pride in all the Hawaiian you've learned!! Bravo, sis!!
Thanks, Sis! It is different, for sure. And I continue to learn about myself -- my values, my habits, everything! And, yes, a piece of my heart will definitely forever be here in Hawai‘i. ♥️
DeleteI’m so glad you’re enjoying yourself in Hawaii.. both when alone and when with others as you choose.
DeleteFor many the word “isolation” is negative with good reason. I think when prisoners are extra bad they put them in isolation. Also, I assume some of us are still remembering what it felt like to have to isolate during COVID which wasn’t fun.
However, I think your current isolation is chosen and intermittent, which is the best kind. I call it “me time” or “alone time” and I need it. Sometimes I fill that time with things like TV, podcasts, audiobooks or projects. Other times I find it more beneficial to just think.
I’m sure that pretty flower inspired some thoughts.
Thanks, MJ! Yes, I think you're right about the word 'isolation' being thought of as a bad or negative thing. I kinda liked the isolation of COVID, so I think it suits me okay (as long as it's not too much!).
DeleteI feel like you were my best teacher during COVID (how to work from home, etc.). It just takes a little adjustment!