Week 9: Laulima (Many Hands Working Together)

This week, Hawai‘i is teaching me the importance of laulima - many hands working together.

In the aftermath of Tropical Storm Lala, I was amazed at the speed at which folks started to clear the debris and turn things to rights. It reminded me of my Tía Tina, eighty-three-years-old after hurricane Maria hit her island of Puerto Rico, bandana around her hair, trash bag in hand, ready to join in the work like so many generations before her. Islanders come together and work together. This island is the same. Even before Lala hit, people were checking on their kūpuna (elders): filling sand bags, securing windows, making sure they had enough food and water. And the morning after, while the rain was still drizzling, piles of cut tree branches and trunks lined the curbsides, and police officers took on the job of directing traffic for multiple downed traffic lights, making sure roads were safe.

Some of the damage encountered on a walk the morning after the storm.

My neighborhood in Mānoa was out of power for 48 hours and it made me even more grateful for everyone working hard to restore power and normalcy after the storm.

On Wednesday I traveled to Maui and relied on many hands, again. The Lyft driver picked me up at 4:15 AM to catch an early flight (awesome driver Jason was early and so thoughtful!) and, as soon as he dropped me off at the airport, I realized I left my cellphone in his car! I turned to catch him, but he was already too far away. I asked a custodian if he had a phone and could call my number, hoping Jason might hear it vibrate 🤞🏽... but no joy 😕. I entered the airport without my phone and that sweet custodian continued to call my number 20+ times, trying to catch the attention of the driver, with no luck. I had to ask the airline staff to print my boarding pass (throwback to the '90s!) and flew to Maui after reporting my lost phone to Lyft.

Hana Tours of Maui picked me up from the airport and off I went for the Deluxe Hana Tour! The road to Hana was long and winding, and I was immensely grateful to the guide who did the driving. He even took photos for me since I didn't have my phone!

Some highlights from the tour, thanks to many hands helping me!

The tour ended early and they dropped me off at the hostel (my first-ever hostel stay!). 

Shaka🤙🏽at Howzit Hostel!

I wanted to get to the other end of the island to visit with my friends for the evening, but I couldn't call for a Lyft -- because I didn't have my phone! 😅 When I called for a taxi (remember taxis?) the cost was outrageous and my roommate, Charlotte from Germany, said it was ridiculous and she would call me a Lyft. I said, "But you will get charged!" She shrugged, "You can just Venmo me." To which I replied with slumped shoulders, "I would, but I don't have my phone!" 😅 She shook it off and said she would send me her details and I could pay her back when I got my phone back. Best.Roommate.Ever!!!

So my Maui Lyft driver picked me up and drove me to the other side of the island. We talked story - I shared how I lost my phone and he shared an awesome story about his day - and I was so glad to meet him!

These are some of my favorite people on the planet!
Shaun, Ciara, Melissa from Seneca Street in Tucson!!!

My friends treated me to dinner at a fancy restaurant on the beach and it was so good to reconnect with them after so many weeks away from home.

The next morning they decided to join me for a snorkel field trip the hostel was organizing, so they met me at Black Rock beach where we swam to a peninsula of lava rock where the coral was abundant and we got to swim with the fish! It was so magical...

...Until it wasn't... 

The current got too choppy so we decided to swim back to shore. After a bit of a challenging swim, I made it back to find Ciara chillin' on the beach, but no Shaun. After not seeing him for a few minutes, and feeling panic swell in my gut, I asked the hostel host if I could borrow a couple of swim belts because I lost my friend. He immediately agreed and told me that if I couldn't find my friend, he would come help me. There was no life guard on duty... 😬 I thanked him but countered, "Thanks. But I'm going to find my friend!" and he smiled, "Absolutely! You're going to find your friend!"

I left a very anxious Ciara on the beach so she would be there if Shaun returned and I swam back out, wishing I'd borrowed flippers, too. I couldn't see Shaun so I kept swimming, even past where we decided to turn around, and that's where I finally found him. He looked so chill, floating with his snorkel gear, that I thought maybe he found some cool marine life and didn't want to turn back. I was wrong. He'd been caught in a rip tide and, in spite of swimming for his life for almost an hour, he had made no progress at all. He was exhausted. 😩 I gave him a swim belt and, little-by-little, we made it back to shore where Ciara was there was fresh water and a warm embrace. I was so immensely grateful to the hostel for supplying the snorkel gear and swim belts to make it possible to help my friend.

Shaun and Ciara both thanked me so many times. It was very Mahalo. 💕

One more "Mahalo" from Shaun

Still processing the scare, we joined Melissa and Ryan for some beer and pizza, then relaxed in their hot tub and resort room before heading out for the evening plans: My flight back to O‘ahu and their fancy dinner at Mama's Fish House. We got caught in a traffic jam on the way, and I was thankful, once again, for the many hands that worked to clear the multi-car crash on the single road available on Maui. The 45-minute drive took over 2 hours. But it was a chill two hours, filled with story and good music and laughter - especially when Ryan unexpectedly joined Sting by belting out "Roxanne!" and scared the lot of us to death!  

I made it to my gate with minutes to spare and used the airport WiFi to connect with my Lyft driver, Jason. He met me at the O‘ahu airport, with my phone, and gave me a ride back home! The Universe is amazing!

I ended my week with a Community Work Day at the kalo fields on the UH Mānoa campus. The land was essentially a dumping ground until some students learned the history of the land and started working to restore it to kalo farming. The first of three guiding principles of the Kānewai who are stewards of the loʻi is laulima! Our guide, Lason /LAY-son/ asked everyone to hold up their hands to illustrate the value of all of us working together to care for the kalo fields.

Laulima - Many Hands Working Together

I had so much fun working the kalo fields! We learned about the Hawaiian water cycle, the importance of having joy in your heart as you tend the fields, and got so muddy!!! From aerating the soil by stomping in the mud, to building up the mounds, to walking the stream to help the water flow more freely, we completed so much work together!

💕Many hands (and feet!) working the kalo fields 💕

So often I noticed the power of many hands (laulima) in my life this week...

  • The many people who cleaned up after the storm and turned the power on.
  • The tour guide who expertly navigated the road to Hana and back. 
  • My new roommate who got me to see my friends.
  • My friends who welcomed me into their vacation.
  • The hostel leader who organized the snorkeling adventure and offered help.
  • The Lyft driver who found and returned my phone.
  • The people who organized the community service day for us to connect to the lo‘i and each other.
  • The Universe, for always having my back.
Last week whispered: "You don't have to control everything."
And this week said: "You don't have to carry everything yourself."

Earlier this month, I re-read The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse, and today I am reminded of one of my favorite lines from the book: "Asking for help isn't giving up... It's refusing to give up." 

This is a lesson I will carry into next week, as I begin fall semester classes, and beyond. 

Next Post →

Comments

  1. 😭😭😭

    I'm so grateful you were there for Shaun, Ana... This is exactly how people die in riptides. I love that you knew to take a rescue buoy with you. I'm still shaken from this story which could have had a very different outcome.

    Yours were the laulima that saved someone's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, My Goodness Ana! Your story of many hands working together through Lala and your adventure to Maui made me tear up. You are so right about how island communities come together in such different ways than most mainland communities. I was wondering how Lala impacted you? No judgement on the M&Ms- my other friends who lost their power for a few days all ate their ice cream immediately to make sure that at least it didn't go to waste!

    Maui.... oh, beautiful Maui.... That is my where my heart and soul call home and I am moved to tears that you were there and she took care of you in all of the ways. I am so grateful that Shaun was safe and you were determined to find your friend and got the swim belts. That is a very scary situation, and you were so brave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Erika! I have teared up a few times since my visit, thinking about the snorkeling adventure. To be honest, I'm still processing it. It's funny, but I didn't feel brave at all... just worried. And, upon reflection, Shaun was a super easy rescue. In spite of his fear, swallowing who knows how much sea water, vomiting multiple times, and utter exhaustion, he remained completely calm and composedly made his way back to shore with me. He was incredible.

      Regarding Lala: other than being without power for a couple of days and having a few planned events canceled, I was not impacted at all. Actually, I slept through the worst of it. The yard suffered no casualties, the house no flooding, and everything seemed to resume as normal after a day or two. We were very lucky. The Big Island suffered the most. And with rains soon following from Moke, they are likely dealing with more threats from flooding, mudslides, and falling rocks.

      Delete
    2. Shaun sounds brave and determined, just like you- I can see why you are friends! You were VERY brave- you only recently started snorkeling, it was rough water and your friend was missing. You could have freaked out or drowned along with him, but instead you just went into protective mode, were logical that you needed swim belts and then found your friend and saved him. I am surprised the hostel person didn't offer more help/call ocean safety- that is concerning!

      Yes, I saw that Moke came by to rub salt in the Lala wounds. I remember being told that Big Island and Maui are the protectors of Oahu- they take the brunt of most storms and it is so true. Oahu just sits back while the other islands take it, which has also led to many Oahu residents not taking warnings seriously.... I am glad you were safe and sound!

      Delete
    3. That is an interesting insight, that the Big Island and Maui are protectors of Oahu. I was surprised people were so irritated with being without power. I felt like that would be expected. But if they are not taking the storm seriously, then maybe they were caught unawares!

      Delete
    4. Oh yeah, so many people don't even prep ANYTHING. In 2017 or 2018 we had a Cat 5 Hurricane predicted to direct hit Honolulu and I remember people telling me they weren't preparing and that they just get annoyed when everyone makes a stink about hurricanes. I prepared like no other. And guess what- we barely even had any wind and zero rain for anyone I knew around the island. Big Island and Maui were clobbered. But I always prepared for every storm or warning because I didn't want to get caught with my pants down! You are a smart woman to do the same!

      Delete
    5. It's funny because I feel like I *barely* prepared! Extra drinking water, flashlight, batteries... That was about it. It was enough (and all were used because of the loss of power). So maybe sometimes 'good enough' is enough! 😅

      Delete
  3. What an amazing experience on Maui, and I am so relieved that Shawn (and you!) were ok. You were brave to go back out on your own, and what a good friend you are. Your instincts were spot on. I love the way that Hawaiians love their land and care for it, and how you are embracing all of this. It is beautiful and inspiring...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ree! It's cool because he was able to pay it forward the next day by saving a sea turtle! A couple of fishermen had it tangled in their net and he held the turtle down so they could untangle it! 🐢

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I have some news... 🌺

Twenty-four days and counting... ⏰

Week 7: Pilina (Relationship, connection)