Week 8: Haʻahaʻa (Humility)
I got to visit Lēʻahi (a.k.a. Diamond Head), and it was so beautiful, I cried a little.
This week, Hawai‘i is teaching me haʻahaʻa (humility).
Not like, "how to be more humble," but more like, "how to move forward in spite of uncertainty."
Work: I am needing to pivot and use a new (to me) platform to adapt my first ethnomathematics lesson for asynchronous classes. Plan A didn't work. Plan B was better but still didn't work like I want it to. So, here we go, Plan C. Completely outside my comfort zone and I'm not even sure it's going to work! 🤪
Personal: Ironically, I am currently working with my therapist on 'avoidance' — why I avoid things, examining my thoughts and emotions, and determining whether my concerns are backed by evidence (spoiler alert: they aren't.)
Life: And then there's Lala, my first tropical storm (hurricane?). It should hit the Big Island on Saturday and will pass south of O‘ahu (where I am), but the College sent out the following warning: "While the other islands may not be in the direct path of the storm, strong winds, rain and high surf can extend hundreds of miles from its center." So on Thursday, after a beautiful hike to Lēʻahi (a.k.a. Diamond Head), I stopped at the store to get a flashlight, batteries, and some drinking water. I also grabbed some peanut M&Ms (don't judge me).
As a teacher, there is something beautiful about these lessons of haʻahaʻa. I am always asking students to embrace uncertainty and celebrate struggle. Now I get to practice that myself...
In every.aspect.of.my.life. 😅
Below are some more fun pics from my Lēʻahi hike!
Lēʻahi is a crater of the Koʻolau Volcano and a site of reverence and cultural significance. A sacred place, it is a burial ground for chiefs and royalty, and is linked to the goddess Hiʻiaka.
The haole name "Diamond Head" came from sailors mistaking calcite crystals found in the area for diamonds, which led to nicknames of Diamond Hill or Kaimana Hila.
Hawaiian Words + Doodles


.jpg)

.jpg)





Love your drawings, sis, and getting learn so many new Hawaiian words. And whilemumu doesn't mean "loose, flowing dress" in Hawaiian, the English mispronunciation of mu'u mu'u does! (I'm a total etymology nerd!! Thanks for seeing me! 😆)
ReplyDeleteRelieved you made it through your first (?) hurricane 🌀 safely and did all the prep! I can't believe the luck is getting to see what is under the tarps on full display! 😭😭 That ancient beauty makes me cry!
I appreciate all the ha'aha'a sharing. (Wait... Is this where "hahaha" comes from??!) Please keep us posted on all "moving forward with uncertainty" fronts Love you!!
Hey! Yes, I am learning from these Hawaiian words... like Hula dance is redundant!
DeleteThe island of O'ahu is under a flood warning and I am hunkering down. As Xandar reminded me today, COVID trained me well for this.
More humility is coming with the start of school next week! 😆
❤️🌴
ReplyDeleteThanks, Lance! We have definitely been getting some weather! Thinking of you!
Delete