Week 10: Imi ike (To Seek Knowledge)
This week, Hawai‘i is teaching me the value of ʻimi ʻike — seeking knowledge wherever it appears.
I started fall classes this week, continuing my journey of learning through books, research, and academics. But knowledge is found in so many other places as well...
In Experience. I've been processing the snorkeling events of last Thursday, learning what I am capable of and grateful to know that my instincts align with my values and love.
In the Mountains. I went on a 5-hour climb through the Maunaʻōahi Ridge. We eventually had to abandon the goal of reaching Kuli'ou'ou Summit because of the trail being blocked by trees felled (likely by Lala). I learned about stepping with intention, micro spikes (kindly supplied by fellow hiker, Trina), and slowing down to appreciate the breeze and the flowers.
In Relationships. The guide for Thursday's hike, Roland, has so much knowledge of the rocks, the mountains, ecological restoration, and Hawaiian folklore. He graciously and quietly shared these golden nuggets throughout the hike, while clearing the path with his saw or waiting for me to catch my breath.
In the ocean. While snapping a picture of some rowers, I captured the boats in the background, moored on land since 2011. The Great East Japan earthquake caused a tsunami that reached Hawaiian shores, tossing the boats ashore. It's too expensive to retrieve them, so there they sit. Every year, on March 11th, I listen to a story about the Wind Phone in Japan, to remember the lives lost and the loved ones left behind.
The beautiful Hawai‘iloa had to be covered again to protect him from the wind, Sun, and rain.
I also got to see the ‘iako I sanded (see Week 6) with a fresh coat of epoxy. Looks like it's almost done!
The ocean teaches me the power of consistency and attention. Whatever we put our attention on will grow. Things we neglect will evolve into something we did not intend or fall into disrepair. There is great value in respecting nature and living with intention.
In Quiet Acts. I find such inner peace in little things like watering the garden and coloring my doodles. Sometimes knowledge comes from noticing what brings us back to ourselves.







I feel you about knowledge. I was blessed to spend 10 days with a wise teacher, and hearing her stories was a chance to deepen my knowledge in direct transmission from teacher to student. I love how you are getting into gardening, as a way to care for the earth and also teach presence. Dad would be so tickled. Your doodles are just wonderful. They have a bit of anime flavor to them.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to hear all about your trip to *Italy* !!! I bet it was magical!
DeleteYes, I do feel like I am finally starting on a gardening journey that Dad planted years ago. Baby steps.
Aloha Ana! What a great week full of learning and being in tune with the knowledge all around you. Yesterday I attended a personal development lecture about Focus and Attention and how that shapes our lives. There was strong emphasis on the intentionality and consistency to align choices with our values on our path in life. I love that you are learning that from the ocean!
ReplyDeleteI really appreciate getting to see tidbits of your island learnings and enjoy the method in which you share it.
I had NO IDEA about the Wind Phone but I looked at your link and will listen to it later, but I also googled more and was so touched by this. Thank you for sharing it!
Thank you so much for your kind comments, Erika! Thank you for sharing your learning, too. Nature has all of the answers, if only we are quiet and pay attention.
DeleteAs I have read through the story of the wind phone it makes me think of the Shinnyo Floating Lantern Festival on Oahu for Memorial Day. People make paper lanterns and write the names of the ones they love who have passed to honor or send messages to them and send them out to sea. It is a very emotional experience.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure if you read the transcript or listened to the story, but hearing the voices of those left behind is especially powerful.
DeleteThanks for sharing about the Shinnyo Floating Lantern Festival. Although I am planning to return to the Island in May of 2027 (for graduation! 🥳), I will be leaving well before Memorial Day, so we will miss it. But it seems like a very moving ritual. I am learning to really love death rituals as I age and lose more and more people in my life. It feels important to find ways to stay connected to our ancestors who have gone before us. ♥️
So far I have only read the transcript, and it brought me some pretty strong tears. I want to listen to it, but I have to wait until I am not at work and can be all red faced and snotty by myself LOL. I shared it with my book club girls, and they also had never heard about it and were so grateful for the link.
ReplyDeleteYou crack me up ("red faced and snotty"). A couple of times I have listened to it while driving and had to pull over to have a good, hearty cry.
DeleteBefore Mom died, I told her about it and we went ahead and tried 'calling' dad on my cell phone. Just talking to him. I think it healed the hurt a tiny bit.
Thank you for bringing us along with you to experience the many ways of knowing and knowledge -finding that Hawai'i has opened or shored up in you. What a diverse learning community you have cultivated!
ReplyDeleteThanks YOU for traveling with me, Nanci! It is so sweet to carry you and others along with me during this nourishing time. Hawai‘i has definitely gifted me some amazing teachers. I'm happy to share what I'm learning!
Delete