Week 5: Mālama (Caring for What Cares for You)
This week I am focusing on mālama by doing one thing each day simply because it nourishes my spirit rather than my productivity.
Every morning I take time to talk with the plants, water them if needed, and admire the diverse flowers that bloom daily. Even when my energy was so low the last two weeks, these plants would nourish me and bring healing to my cells. And I love seeing which flowers surprise me each day, because every day there is a new flower, I just have to look!
As my energy returned this week, I was able to give myself more opportunities for fun and joy. I continue to keep pono in my heart and balance activity with rest.
Sunday: I bookended the day with sweet video chats with Xandar and Nanci. In between, I visited a new store, celebrated International Ice Cream Day with a new (to me) flavor of ... well... gelato. But it's like ice cream, right? And did some grocery shopping for the week.
Monday: I filled my cup on Monday with a morning video chat with my neighbor/friend Zach, afternoon lunch with Ben, and pickleball in the evening. For lunch, Ben and I went for Indian food (I thought of my sister Rita and how she always wants Indian food when she visits!) which was delicious.
Tuesday: I made sure Tuesday was a rest-day after my full Monday. I treated myself to extra gardening, watering the plants and watching the dragonflies flit under the hose shower, relaxing poolside, playing video games (think 'Tetris'), and taking a nap. My new PicklePal Cliff invited me for Tuesday afternoon pickleball and I got to sub for Earl (pictured below), who can only play partial games because he gets winded.
Wednesday: Wednesday I cared for my body with some yoga with my friend Aurora-Bree, who joins me any time I need an accountability partner and is a ray of sunshine in my day! I also filled my day with domestic fun: laundry, cooking, cleaning. Sometimes being productive also nourishes my spirit!
Thursday: A randomly off day 😕, so I took it as a rest-day. Got a video chat with my grandson and eldest -- that always fills my heart! Today was national refreshment day, but since I stayed home, I postponed the celebration until tomorrow.
Friday: Grateful for feeling normal again and had a full day. Visited the Waikiki Market as recommended by a friend, browsed the entire store, and sampled some yummy poke!
Then, I went downstairs to celebrate National Refreshment Day with a fun, fruity drink!
I also got a little lost and took the bus way out east. When I finally arrived at the wrong place, I decided to stay and get a pedicure, because Friday was International Self-Care day, so I figured, Why Not? Massage chair and some pampering? Yes, please!
Saturday: I had a blast Saturday morning at pickleball - and Roy was there! 🥳 He didn't play because he had a medical thing he was still recovering from, but I played four games and had so much fun. Then I came home, did some watering, and swept the side driveway and front walkway for an hour. I was a sweaty mess - this humidity is no joke! 😅
I was gifted with strong, cool breezes during my walks, some scattered light rains, and new, gorgeous flowers.
Mālama all week long... I continued to join Daryl for his sunset walks every day, read more of the Murderbot books, and solidified some daily routines that keep me grounded and make my days go better.
One of the best compliments I've received has been when friends tell me that, after initially hesitating to do something that feels indulgent, they think of me and give themselves permission to do the thing that brings them joy. The greatest gift is gently and lovingly caring for ourselves, as a way of saying Mahalo (thank you) to every cell of our body, which sustains us every second of every day.







This sabbatical is so good for your soul girl. The flowers! The treats! All the pickleball. Lovely...
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ree! I'm not even on sabbatical yet (starts in the Fall) but I'm enjoying this summer, for sure! And my intention is to take these lessons and continue them through my sabbatical, and beyond!
DeleteListening. Joy. A pace that connects you. A wonder in your world. Thanks for bringing us along for this journey and modeling for me what sabbath can be.
ReplyDeleteLove you, Nanci! 💗
DeleteI have always appreciated the way you talk about the body, caring for it and honoring it. I love that Hawaii is fostering that in you. She chose you because she knew you would take what she offered you and that you would give back to her and the community she nourishes. Mahalo nui loa for spreading Aloha.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Erika! I hope that it helps others give themselves permission to care for and honor their bodies, too. I think it makes the world a better place. Thinking of you!!!
DeleteSounds like a great week! I’ve been hearing about ube for a couple years but haven’t run into an ube treat to try yet. I’ll keep an eye out for it. I think my sister gas an ice cream maker. Maybe I’ll make dairy-free ube ice cream when I visit her in Aug…. or at least chocolate. Namaste, Ana. Loved chatting with you on Sun.
ReplyDeleteMJ! Thanks for reading and commenting. (for figuring it out... the comment thing)
DeleteI love the idea of a dairy-free ube ice cream! Do it! And let me know how it goes!