Week 3: Kuleana (Responsibility and privilege)

I have been thinking a lot about my kuleana (responsibility and privilege) as a guest of this island, this home, this life. 

I spent Monday shadowing Ben as he watered this oasis, learning from him as he pointed out plants that are underwatered, helping him remove leaves with disease, prune leaves that are beginning to wither, and always stopping to notice, admire, and smell the various flowers blooming. 

One of the beautiful, fragrant blossoms

After climbing a ladder to pick a bushel of avocados from his tree, keeping a few and gifting the rest to his tenants, Ben shared with me a delicious dragon fruit harvested from his garden. 

Eating dragon fruit from Ben's yard!

He also told me that he actually has a Miracle Berry plant and we were able to harvest a couple of berries for later!

Miracle Berries!

Sweeping the patios, pruning leaves, and watering potted plants at are missing out from daily rains are some things I can do to earn my keep and say mahalo (thanks) to my friend and the plants for their generosity.

 
The beautiful front patio

I've noticed that my kuleana as a mathematics educator has been evolving. For much of my career, it has been to bring the mathematics into the classroom and do my best to make sure my students understood it. A noble goal, to be sure. But it is changing. Now, I want to bring my students' stories into the classroom to reveal and reconnect my students to the mathematics that is already present in their lived experience. 

The knowledge I bring into the classroom and everywhere I go... Is that I am capable of doing new things, hard things, and trusting that the Universe is providing me everything I need to be my best self.

I got to cook for myself this week... I mean an actual recipe (not toast or an omelet). I got to create a grocery list, go shopping (and struggle to find things, make ingredient substitutions, etc.). It is crazy, I know, that a grown woman has not done this in over 30 years, but I haven't. I remember being in my 20s on my own (with an infant) and going through the grocery store with a plan. I had the store layout and mapped my list with efficiency, so I could get in and out with my little baby as quickly as possible. The meals were lo-prep, like Hamburger Helper. This time was different. It was just me, the ingredients were mostly whole foods, and I took my time. Got the recipe from a fun FB personality/trainer, Luis Howard. He always makes me laugh and focuses on protein, which is important for elders, like me.

  
Done! Beef filling, Avocado dip, Packed cones... and it was darn yummy!

I am also grateful that my Seneca ‘Ohana stayed in touch with me and shared pics and videos of the repaving of our pickleball court (a.k.a. the neighborhood streets).

Daryl with neighbor Justin measuring for the pickleball court. 💕

I am also embracing rest. After a wonderful Monday of running errands, grocery shopping, and an evening of pickleball, I started to feel "off"... sickness being something I have to pay close attention to with my Long COVID flare-ups. So, my kuleana as a guest in my body, in my life, is sometimes just rest and trust the Universe.  I spent most of my week in bed this week, napping and resting. I am grateful that my Long COVID did not get to a full-on flare up (with fevers of 103°F), and only reached overwhelming fatigue. But that was enough, and it demanded rest, even when I was doing almost nothing to begin with.

 
A little snail and sweet butterfly, reminding me that going slow can be beautiful.

My main focus right now is my health.


Next Post →

Comments

  1. Oh! Look at all that wild beauty of Manoa!!! I love the way everything feels like a jungle in the valley there. The malama (care) of the land and the people by one another from Ben and you is heartwarming. I miss that feeling of community and connection that the mainland often seems to lack (though it sounds like your Seneca Ohana has it down!) Being the most isolated, inhabited land mass in the world really does bring the Hawaii people together in a very special way. I love that you are taking on the kuleana of participating in the giving and receiving and nourishing of this life. I miss the neighborhood exchanges of avocados, mangos, lychee, bananas, Ti leaves, and monstera. I hope you are feeling much better and can get out and explore a little more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Erika! Yes, Ben is very intentional about his yards. He loves the plants and cares for them daily - cautiously checking for disease, insects, and water needs. It reminds me a lot of my dad. 🥹
      I am thinking more and more about spending regular time at Mission Garden to learn about native plants and how to appropriately care for and harvest them.
      I started to feel better but got overzealous and have relapsed a little. I'll pay closer attention and spend more time this week on-ramping gradually to full activity instead of going full throttle! Some lessons take forever to learn. 😅

      Delete
    2. Oh no to the relapse!!! I hope you will be able to rest and recover fully so you can have the energy to explore more. Kilauea started erupting on Wednesday... Maybe the vog got to you and flared things up too? It can be pretty aggravating to the system/ make you feel run down and like you are sick.

      I love that you're getting into all of the plant care and want to go to the Mission Garden! I have never been but should go. It is definitely easier to garden in Hawaii- it has been a learning curve to care for a garden/ plants here. Do you have lots of plants in Tucson?

      Delete
    3. I don't have a garden in Tucson. But with everything I am learning here (and honestly, the season of life I am entering), it's been on my mind! For me, I think gardening in Tucson might be easier if I focus on native plants that grow naturally there. I just need to learn how to be in relationship with them. I'm sure when O'odham elders look outside, they see a grocery store + pharmacy + hardware store... whereas I mostly see thorns. 😅 I just need to be open to learning more.

      I've been smarter this week about resting and balance. I overdid it and the Island reminded me that balance and living right is supposed to be my week's theme! 🥰

      I hadn't considered the vog impacting my energy levels and health. I know that extreme fatigue is a symptom of my Long COVID flare-up, so I have to pay close attention. I will keep listening to my body and rest more when needed. Resting without guilt can be tricky for me.

      Delete
  2. Loving the relationship you are cultivating with Ben, the native plants, the garden, and your body, sis! How exciting to have a new "court" to play on when you return home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nanci! Doing my best to accept all of it, just as it is. 😁

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I have some news... 🌺

Twenty-four days and counting... ⏰

Week 7: Pilina (Relationship, connection)