Week 2: Aloha (Love, presence, mutual regard)
I have had a wonderful second week here in Mānoa, with so many experiences of pure aloha.
Monday I explored a little with my classmate, Maddie. We decided to go to Electric Beach for some snorkeling, but the currents were too strong and the water too murky. It was a long bus ride to the west side of the island, so we decided to stay and just relax on the beach. We saw a couple of seals playing in the water and one hefted itself onto the beach to get some sun.
Tuesday I did more exploring at the University of Hawai‘i, Mānoa campus. I zoom-called a fitness routine with my workout buddy on the lawn using the University's Wi-Fi (the home I'm staying at has quiet hours from 9 pm - 9 am, so I had to improvise!). The campus is mostly quiet and people seemed fine with me exercising on the lawn, but I appreciate the lens that comes with being 55 and not really caring much what others think of you. After that, I checked out their Warrior Rec Center. It's large and beautiful and empty (since it's summer), so I will be sure to add some resistance training to my weekly routine!
I am really proud of the school project because it was my first attempt at creating an Ethnomathematics lesson, centered on mathematics tied to place and culture. If you're interested, here's the hyperlink to the Lesson Presentation. I promise it's not scary math.
Thursday I decided to do schoolwork outside instead. The weather was so yummy. It rained off and on (by rain, I mean a fine mist or sprinkles). The day was a good balance of computer work, walking in the neighborhood, splashing around in the pool, and sweeping the deck. It's incredibly peaceful here and I am filled with gratitude.
There are so many flowering trees and bushes everywhere. I love being present and noticing. There are blossoms littering the ground everywhere -- even the plants offer aloha by gifting their flowers to anyone walking by. You don't even have to ask!
I appreciate the balance I created on Thursday and it is something I want to keep in mind for the future.
Friday was more schoolwork (lots of research and a very rough draft). I also worked in a sweet walk and decided to treat myself to some shaved ice and a Mani/Pedi.
Saturday was a sleep-in day. I am still struggling to find a normal rhythm for my sleep schedule. I am sure my body will figure it out, but it seems like I wake up every morning at 6 am Tucson-time and lay awake for an hour or so before my body realizes it's three hours sooner here.
I walked to a park that had a Google Review of "I play pickleball here on Saturdays" with the hopes of getting some pickling in. But it was an indoor court that was (of course) closed for the holiday. Apparently, I wasn't the only person who didn't factor the closure into their day, because a gentleman was reading the notices on the door when I arrived, equally disappointed and also carrying a pickle-paddle! He said he and his friends play every Saturday, so I started to write the information in my calendar for next week. Then he offered an official outdoor court (with the net and lines permanently affixed) at a different park. It was a little far, but he offered to drive me, so off we went! We found a couple of young guys with paddles who were just learning (but were fierce tennis players!), so we played a couple of games. It was a blast and I am amazed, once again, at the kindness, welcoming, and warmheartedness of everyone I meet.
Saturday night I got to have some local Hawaiian food at a food court on Waikiki beach with my amazing friend Ben at whose house I am staying. Afterwards, we walked along the (very crowded) beach, talked and talked until the Sun set, and then watch an incredible fireworks display for the Fourth of July.
I felt so much love this week. I missed the "Poolest Party Ever" on Seneca Street, but they sent me pics and made me feel all the aloha from many miles away.
I am grateful that I got to get video calls in with my Nanci, Lori, Daryl, Kayden, Angel, and Zach this week. I am grateful to everyone who takes the time to read my posts and even comments or messages me about them. I am grateful to my friend Ben who so generously offered his home to me. The beauty of the flora and fauna and people fill me up every day. 🥰








Thanks for sharing your adventures! The fact you found opportunities to play Pickleball made me smile.
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading and sharing, MJ! I get to play pickleball with my Monday PicklePals in about three hours! 🥳
DeleteWhat an incredible second week, sis!! Love the richness of detail and the way you are both offering and receiving aloha!
ReplyDeleteThat fitness room looks amazing and I'm appreciating your persistence in finding your Pickle 🥒 Ball people!! The plumeria behind the ear look makes you look like a local! (Especially with your indigenous and island heritage!) 🌺
Thanks for the comment, Nanci! Yeah... the fitness areas are spread out on both floors of the Rec Center. It's impressive!
DeleteI am glad to find picklepals who don't take the game too seriously and are there to have fun. It reminds me of my Seneca ‘Ohana!
It's nearly impossible for me to pass the scattering of beautiful blossoms littering my pathway without picking one to wear! 🌸
Oh wow! What a glorious week in Hawaii Nei!! I love that you are picking up the snow flowers (that's what I call it- "it's snowing flowers") and put them in your hair! Left side means you're taken and right side means you're available/single. You look so beautiful and happy; that humid, salt air has your skin glowing
ReplyDeleteWhat beach did you end up going to since Electric Beach was no bueno that day? Did you walk over to Tracks Beach next door? A bus ride to the west side is definitely a LONG journey! I just want to make sure you're hitting the right spot if you go back for snorkeling since a lot of the marine life congregates around a specific spot where the warm water is being pumped out of the electrical plant. Though with global warming, that may not be a thing much longer.... Loving your adventures!
Oops! I've been putting the flower behind my right ear -- Sorry, DJ! I'll be sure to place it on the left from now on.
DeleteI am actually loving the humidity -- but it's also only getting up to the 80s, so it's really perfect weather!
We talked to a life guard at Electric Beach. He pointed to the warm water spot past the entranceway and we got to see where the (few) snorkelers were heading towards. Next time!
He pointed to a spot a little ways out where folks typically sunbathe. That's where we spent the day and saw the seal, who also, apparently, goes to sunbathe.
Thanks for the tips. I'll head back -- with: someone more experienced, a floatation device, and flippers. I'll be more prepared and it will be glorious, I'm sure!
Hey hon, thanks for going with left ear flower, love you
ReplyDelete😅 Thanks for reading and commenting, My Love! Left-side flower from now on, for sure! 💕
DeleteYou are doing all the things (shaved ice, flowers, beach time) AND finding time for working out and pickle ball. Keep living your best life sis. Love you.
ReplyDeleteDoing my best... Feeling a little off the last couple of days, so I am parking myself at home and resting a LOT. Doing my best to stave off a Long COVID flare-up. 😬
Delete