Week 1: Hoʻomaka (Beginning)

 

My ethno-cohort ‘ohana — and extended ‘ohana!

I have completed the immersion week of my ethnomathematics graduate certificate and I can already notice some profound changes.

First, I notice that this is the first time I have visited a place and actually gave back. I have not just been a consumer to take artifacts, memories, scenery, food, experiences -- this time, I had the opportunity to give — to work the land, harvest and clean food for the people, learn the history, and be connected to this place. This is a practice I want to continue with every place in which I have the honor to be.

The immersion week challenged my limiting beliefs that I may not fit in, may not be enough, and may not belong. Every classmate and teacher brings so much to the program. The wealth of experience, knowledge, kindness, and authenticity was overwhelming (in a good way). And I recognize that my story is beautifully unique and incomparable to others.

What surprised me most about Hawaiian ways of knowing is how similar the core beliefs are to the indigenous wisdom I have learned of over the years - from the O'odham to the Yaqui to the Potawatomi to the Diné. There is a deep respect for all beings, human and non-human beings alike, and a deep inner knowing that we are all connected. I recognize how hard our westernized culture works to keep humans severed from nature, but we are nature. And that is why going outdoors, swimming in a lake or ocean, walking in Sabino Canyon, watching a monsoon storm, sleeping under the stars, it all feels like coming home.  

I am excited to see the weeks unfold with more learning and experiences.

Next Post →

Comments

  1. Oh Ana! I love this so much. Your words are powerful, beautiful and true. The returning to our roots, the 'aina, and reconnecting our souls to the life force and to each other is so healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erika! Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I appreciate you so much! I hope you can feel the aloha and know that you are still on my mind so much. Even went to Electric Beach (but the current was too strong to snorkel). Saw some seals, though!

      Delete
    2. OOOH! Electric Beach! It is often intimidating getting out past the breaker there- the waves break hard on that beach with how they are funneled in. If you can get out past that part, it is beautiful under the sea. If you can find a friend with a kayak, that is always comforting- a team on the kayak around you while you snorkel so you feel safer. Even a floatation device like a body board helps. I definitely started snorkeling with floatation devices until I felt like a stronger swimmer and was more familiar with the currents. Always bring a snorkel buddy!

      Delete
    3. That's a great idea. I think I'll get a flotation device -- maybe just a swim vest that I can use in a variety of circumstances. And I will always make sure I have someone with me. I'm looking into taking an snorkeling class at UH, Mānoa! 🤿

      Delete
  2. What a powerful reflection. Our own Native ways, buried a bit under all the forced assimilation, are also very present in you my dear sister. Our deep connection to all living creatures, our connection and respect for the earth...they are there in you and me and Nanci. Our dad lived his life that way and taught us by example. I am so very grateful you get a chance to be in this remarkable program, learning, growing, and enjoying the beauty of Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting, Ree! I feel Dad and Mom both, so much here. And I feel so lucky for this opportunity! 🥳

      Delete
  3. That adorable happy little girl in the front is precious and looks like she could be in a meme. Is she someone's child in your program?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! She is the daughter of the woman who runs the program, Linda Furuto. 😊

      Delete
  4. Thank you for bringing us along on this incredible week and sharing your growth and insights with such vulnerability. Also, you are rocking that dress!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sis! I loved bringing you with me!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I have some news... 🌺

Twenty-four days and counting... ⏰

Week 7: Pilina (Relationship, connection)