Day 4: Hawaiʻi Institute of Marine Biology
This post is a day late because, upon returning, I slept for about eleven hours!
I woke up feeling tired but pushed through. Although that's common behavior for Past Ana, it is not prudent for Current Ana, who has Long COVID and usually rolls back to sleep when she wakes up feeling tired.
Instead, I forced myself out of bed so that I would be ready in time for our next adventure: to the Hawaiʻi Institute of Marine Biology!
We met at Leonard's Bakery food truck, and I tried my first malasada -- coconut filling. It was divine!
Then off to the Hawaiʻi Institute of Marine Biology in a four-car caravan. The drive was spectacular (as usual), and I still cannot get over the green!
We took a boat to the small island that houses the Hawaiʻi Institute of Marine Biology.
Then spent the day going on a tour, gathering invasive water vegetation to inspect and sort various organisms. The goal was to take some time to listen to the sound of a shrimp's sonic boom (they close their claw rapidly enough to create a shockwave that stuns their prey, making it easier for them to eat).
Even though we weren't able to locate any shrimp, we did uncover several crabs and did a sound experiment with them instead.
We learned through the tour the ways they are working to save the coral reefs, helping them to grow even in warm water temperatures. (Thanks, Global Warming)
It was an awesome day with lots of discovery!
We closed our day with lunch at Windward Community College (WCC). The mountains in the background (volcanic wall) is powerful and the campus is lovely.
Friday will be at Hoʻokuaʻāina at Kapalai Farms. I'll be writing that a day late, too!







I hope you got some good recent after such an interesting day! I had to look up that food you were eating. It has an interesting history...
ReplyDeleteYes! I feel like I am eating history and culture every day! 😋
DeleteYUMMMM....... Malasadas!! You went to Coconut Island?!! Such a fun place to see with a crazy history! Sigh...Those mountains on the windward side are breathtaking (especially with the clouds!) and pictures never do them justice! I love that fact about the shrimp!! I didn't know that!
ReplyDeleteI hope you are feeling better. I am curious if the vog (volcanic fog) will bother your long covid symptoms when Kilauea starts erupting again.... It took me about a year to become sensitive to the vog, so I hope you will have a long window of immunity too. You may notice that people wear masks when the vog is bad and that helps keep the symptoms at bay.
Oooh! Thank you for that tip/knowledge about the vog. I will pay more attention to it and can wear a mask, too. I am currently feeling a little under the weather, so I’ll take the time to read up on it. Macao!
Delete