Day 2: Hawaiʻi's Plantation Village
This morning was raining! I cannot get enough of this beautiful, soft rain. I decided to eat breakfast outside and enjoy the sounds.
Today we visited Hawaiʻi's Plantation Village. I learned so much about the many groups of people who descended on these islands and all of the ways their culture, foods, and beliefs were adapted, adopted, and contributed to island life here. I learned that there was an influx of Puerto Ricans to Hawaiʻi in 1900. I wondered about this influence because I heard one of our teachers pronounce the "h" sound in the same way my Tía does, the way the jíbaros do. I was so surprised to hear that dialect here in Hawaiʻi!
After a day of hearing stories and visiting replicas of homes, gardens, and bath houses of the various peoples who lived and worked on the sugar plantations, we traveled to Leeward Community College for lunch and a biology lesson. I can only say that my mind was completely blown away. We reflected on the importance of traditional meals and how the alchemy of our matriarchs enabled our ancestors' survival. We got to taste fresh cloves, smell allspice leaves, and tie spices to antibacterial properties, spice wars, and colonization. We experienced first-hand how the pulp of a Miracle Berry can make a sour lemon taste as sweet as candy. So incredible!
The day ended with another Waikiki visit, this time accompanied by rain. I asked Maddie the last time she ever swam in the ocean in the rain. She hadn't ... I don't think I have either. So, a night of firsts!
Tomorrow we head to Kōkua Kalihi Valley.

Hold up. That is the pool in the house where you are staying?? I thought for a minute that was the plantation pool. It's cool that it seems to be the rainy season where you are and where I am. Lush and green. A question for you - did Hawaii ever have slaves? They had plantations, so I had to ask.
ReplyDeleteYes! This is the pool at the home I am staying at. Hawai‘i didn't have slaves, per se. There were indentured servants who could be 'free' once they served their contract. But living conditions were very hard and discrimination was systemic, so life was very hard for the plantation workers, even if they ever did complete their contract.
DeleteOOH! What a beautiful and enlightening day. The diversity of the cultures on Oahu is enlightening. So many packed into one small island! Swimming in the ocean with the warm, gentle rain- what a gift coming from this dry desert! Your body and soul must have been in heaven! I love that on that side of the island it rains almost every morning and night. Go play in it- they will know you're not local but that is okay!
ReplyDelete😅 There are so many ways people will know I am not local! But I have been loving the daily rains. They are so light and refreshing!
Delete